Michael Greis is the Principal of Riverbend Advisors.
Michael is a sustainable investing professional committed to the principle that sustainable investing is the cornerstone of a sustainable economy. He works with the investment community to generate and fulfill greater demand for sustainable investing products and services. He brings thirty years of professional experience in business development, relationship sales and management to his work.
Michael is a CFA charterholder and an active member of the Boston Security Analysts Society. He created the BSAS Sustainable Investing seminar in 2013 and serves as Chair of the Seminar Committee.More...
A commitment to building a sustainable economy includes public service and community engagement. Michael founded and chairs the Green Needham Collaborative, a community non-profit. He has been an elected member of and two-time chair of the Needham School Committee since 2005 and an elected Town Meeting Member since 1995.
Michael is available for project work or a full-time position. Contact him by e-mail, or by phone at 781 559-4623.
- Sustainable Investing professional working with investment professionals and investors to build the business of sustainable investing through education, events, projects and marketing.
- Experienced team leader with a strong history of building and managing successful collaborative teams across multiple organizations and within large organizations.
- Business Development executive skilled at developing innovative marketing campaigns as well as building strong client relationships.
- Persuasive public speaker and presenter engaging a wide variety of audiences with enthusiasm and passion.
- Sustainable Investing 2015 – Theme and topic development, speaker selection and recruitment, and team leadership for 3rd annual BSAS Sustainable Investing Seminar scheduled for November, 2015.
- Solar PV Business Development and Strategy – Identifying and developing prospects for a leading Massachusetts solar PV development company through effective stakeholder engagement. Focus on municipalities and local educational organizations to develop community-wide partnerships and opportunities.
- Measuring and Benchmarking the impact of material non-financial information – Topical research in support of an exploratory project on possible approaches to incorporating non-financial information into firm valuation.
- Panel: Getting Buy-In from the Market Analyst: How to Connect ESG Performance With Traditional Portfolio Management – Developing and moderating panel at Skytop Strategies ESG Summit, upcoming June 2015.
- “Sustainable Investing: Taking the Long View” Developed themes, recruited speakers and led team that produced successful 2nd Boston Security Analysts Society Sustainable Investing Seminar in November 2014. Attendance of 130 nearly doubled that of the initial 2013 event. The seminar will now be an annual event. Keynotes by Verne Sedlacek, President of Commonfund, and <b, founder, Principles for Responsible Investment, highlighted the session. Session agenda
- “The Potential Use of Sustainability Scenarios as a Supplement to Stock Price in Equity Valuation by Long-term Investors” – Research & interviews for, and collaboration with Steve Lydenberg (author) for his invited paper for the Ira M. Millstein Center for Global Markets and Corporate Ownership and the Investor Responsibility Research Center Institute, presented at Columbia Law School September 2014.
- “Sustainable Investing: Moving from the Margin to the Mainstream” – Conceived and led a team that produced this first-ever full-day Boston Security Analysts Society Sustainable Investing Seminar. The success of this sold-out event and the enthusiastic response from the participants has generated the demand for a follow-on session in November 2014. Summary of session
- Advancing the practice of sustainable investing. Engaging with individual professionals to educate and inform, with sustainable investing firms to develop new business, and with mainstream firms to encourage collaborative approaches to developing and integrating sustainable investing offerings.
- Solar installation on closed landfill – Initiated and spearheaded successful multi-year effort to install large solar PV system on capped municipal landfill in Needham.
- Solarize Needham – Developed strategy and led successful effort for local participation in Solarize Mass. Built collaborative team including municipality, volunteers and community organizations. Led RFP response and developed marketing strategy that led to over 125 contracts signed. Now developing follow-on strategy to continue outreach beyond end of program.
- SEC Climate Change Disclosure Seminars – Developed and ran two successful seminars for the NY Society of Security Analysts and the Boston Security Analysts Society that highlighted the opportunities for investors, investment managers and analysts to use these guidelines for market advantage.
- Needham Summit on Energy and the Environment – Built community buy-in for sustainable economic development by convening a well-attended public forum on energy and the environment that connected state policies to local goals and aspirations. Event Summary
- NStar Community Challenge – Increased local participation in the Mass Save program, proving the value and impact of local organizations in cost-effectively achieving energy reduction goals. Significantly overachieved utility-set targets (236% of electricity goal and 151% of heating goal), faster than any other town in the program. The organization was awarded more than twice the funds initially allocated by NStar.